Monday, June 05, 2006

Three new cds...

I discovered that the second Compact Music store moved within four blacks of my office. This is not a good thing.

I have already bought a number of cds....

Fred Eaglesmith's "Milly's Cafe", in a previous post.
Gram Parsons' "GP"/"Grievous Angel". I hadn't actually consciously listened to Gram Parsons before, so I was interested to hear what he sounded like. Ray plays a couple of pieces by him so I wanted to hear them in the his voice. Aside from "Return of the Grievous Angel", I love "A Song For You", "Hearts on Fire" and "Love Hurts" (all with Emmylou Harris)

Bruce Cockburn's "Speechless". Really wonderful.... Consummate guitar.... all instrumental... just the guitar and a couple of other instruments. It will be great not just for the pleasure of listening but because it has a couple of very short pieces which will be perfect for Sunday services. I have ever so much trouble finding anything 2 minutes or less, with no lyrics, to use during the Meditation....


Gillian Welch's "Soul journey" -- music to slit your wrists by... I wasn't able to get past the first three songs to listen to the rest. The first song, "Look at Miss Ohio", is, if it is possible to imagine, more depressing than Janice Ian's "At Seventeen" or even "Insanity Comes Quietly To The Structured Mind". Positively funereal..... and I normallly like Gillian Welch!

1 comment:

Rev.Paperboy said...

Hey Mudhooks,
Tag - you're it!
http://kevinswoodshed.blogspot.com/2006/06/eight-random-things-about-me-having.html