"Two boys are safe and a 35-year-old convicted sex offender is in police custody on Wednesday after a standoff at a farm near Kipling, Sask., ended late Tuesday night."
Peter Robert Joseph Whitmore
When are the courts going to finally "get it" that animals like this shouldn't be out on the street?
A chronology of offenses by this "model citizen", from the National Post:
1. March 1993, North York, Ont. - Peter Robert Joseph Whitmore abducted an 11-year-old boy from a pool and sexually assaulted him during a 24-hour confinement. Whitmore was later arrested in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. He was convicted of charges stemming from the incident and served less than a year in jail.
2. August 1994, Guelph, Ont. - Shortly after being released from prison, Whitmore, posing as a professional babysitter, picked up an eight-year-old girl in Guelph and drove her to Toronto, where he sexually assaulted her.
3. August 1994, Shelburne, N.S. - A Nova Scotia inn owner called police after Whitmore checked in. He was arrested in connection with the assault on the Guelph girl.
4. April 1995, Toronto - Whitmore pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual interference and invitation to sexual touching, one stemming from his assault on the Guelph girl, the other from a separate assault on a nine-year-old boy. He was sentenced to 56 months in prison. The court imposed a rare, lifetime prohibition against his being alone with children under the age of 14.
5. January 2000, Mexico - After being released from prison, Whitmore fled to Mexico, where he was arrested again.
6. October 2000, Toronto - After being released from prison, angry neighbours ran Whitmore out of the neighbourhood where he tried to settle. In an interview arranged by his then-lawyer, Whitmore told the National Post he planned to be "celibate from children'' in the future.
7. November 2000, Toronto - Whitmore was found in a downtown hotel with a 13-year-old boy, breaching conditions imposed by the court. He was sentenced to another year behind bars.
8. February 2002, Chilliwack, B.C. - Three months after being released from prison and already wanted for breaching probation by having contact with a five-year-old boy in Scarborough, Ont., Whitmore was arrested in Chilliwack, B.C., with a ``rape kit'' that included zip ties (plastic fasteners that can be used as handcuffs), duct tape, lubricant and latex gloves. He agreed to return to Ontario in exchange for having the B.C. charges dropped.
9. June 2002, Toronto - Whitmore was sentenced to three years in prison after admitting to breaching his probation by having contact with the five-year-old Scarborough boy. He served his full sentence.
10. June 2005, Chilliwack, B.C.- Whitmore was released into the custody of an aunt in Chilliwack.
11. July 31, 2006, Whitewood, Sask. - RCMP issue a Canada-wide warrant for Whitmore for the abduction of 10-year-old Zachary Miller of Whitewood
Now that he's in custody and charged with abduction, it's time for the wrist-slaps to stop and to invoke "Dangerous Offender" status.
Unfortunately, when courts give 14-month sentences for child rape instead of 8 years because "no weapon was used to threaten the child" and when judges opine that such assaults don't leave "lasting injuries" when physical injuries are absent, how can justice ever be served?