Friday, January 27, 2006

The Wild Parrots of Brooklyn!


In a fit of nostalgia, I went surfing for anything new on City Island, Bronx, New York. In 1994-1996, my ex and I lived on City Island. I periodically feel rather sad about having had to leave New York and feel the need to catch up on my old neighbourhood.

Imagine my surprise when one of the first sites I came across was included a posting about "
the wild parrots of City Island
". Parrots!? City Island?!!??? Firstly, having lived there, I had not seen or heard of parrots, wild or otherwise, living on the island. Secondly, New York is obviously too cold for tropical birds to successfully habituate themselves to the (relative, compared to Ottawa) cold of the northern temperate regions.... Could they?????

How wrong I was!

Apparently, Monk (or Quaker) Parrots (or Parakeets) are not only surviving in New York. They are THRIVING! (as you can see by the photo below)


No comments: