Saturday, October 08, 2005

Fricking computers!

Over the last couple of days, when using a particular database, with a particular program, and on a particular server at work, my computer has been doing the weirdest things.
  • can't print... except on the odd occasion and no one can figure out why it works sometimes and not others
  • Can't use the number pad (since I am dyslexic when it comes to nymber in a row, rather than in their orientation on the keypad, this is a pain in the ass!)
  • Can't use the Shift key... not always.... only for the capital "H"..... It isn't the "h" key since I can use small "h". I have to use the Caps lock and then remember to take it off again so I don't write a whole entry in caps.
  • Any action takes anywhere from 15 seconds to a full minute to complete. For instance, clearing a cell of information requires clicking on the cell, clicking INTO the cell, pressing F3, waiting for this action to be saved, (sometimes accompanied by the screen going completely grey for 15 secongs at a time) clicking back into the cell, adding the new text, saving the new text, going into the next cell.... 3 full minutes, at least. What SHOULD have taken me 20 minutes to edit took 5 hours.... Oh, did I mention being kicked out of the database and the program and several times off the server? Total of 5 times!
  • ... and then... I get booted out of the program and the server and come back to find the entry for the whole document "ghosted out" (the document os noted as being "in use" which it isn't......

ARGGGGHHHH!!!!!

I am very glad this is a long weekend (Thanksgiving).

No comments: