Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Driving Miss Mudhooks

I went out to the drugstore this evening. I meant only to be a few minutes, but it was the kind of night that demanded a road-trip.


The sun had more or less set by the time I got my shopping done. I cranked open the window and cranked up the music and headed out. I didn't have a real idea of where I wanted to go, but I think that was the point.


A few weeks ago, I made myself a "Driving Music" CD. The first song, "Stoned" by Blackie and the Rodeo Kings (I've mentioned them before). I must have played that 10 times before moving on to the next tune. Actually, I played a number of tunes several times, and that was just fine. Let's see.... "I Can't Stand the Rain", "Summertime" and "Take a Little Piece of My Heart" by Janis Joplin; "Memories of East Texas" by Michelle Shocked; "Joan of Arc" and "Song of Bernadette" Jennifer Warnes (Leonard Cohen songs); "Peter's Dream" by Lennie Gallant (Even though the tune was written by Gallant, my friend Chris Angel does it better. Unfortunately his version hasn't been recorded, yet); "Chelsea Morning" by Joni Mitchell; and "Barracuda" by Heart.


Because of all the rain we've had over the last while, the air has a very musty smell to it, which wasn't the most pleasant part of the drive. Still, it was the first time in a long while that I have gotten out of the house, on my own, just to drive, something I relish. In one respect, I really enjoyed it, but I think it would have been more satisfying to have someone along for the ride.


I think back to the days when a couple of friends and I would pile in the car, smoke a few joints, and just drive. I think I miss that. Actually, it's about the only thing I DO miss from my teens and early 20s. Aside from the sense of freedom I had with a few close friends, they were pretty shitty times for me. I do miss the driving around with no place particular to go, though. I miss a few of those friends, too.


I started thinking about who, in my circle of friends today, would be my choice of driving-around friend. I hate to say it, but I can't think of anyone who is free to just pick up and go out, anymore. Everyone either has family obligations or would think it was a nuts idea. "You want to WHAT?...."


Siggghhh.

No comments: